ZONAUTARA.COM – The coronavirus or Covid 19 has become a pandemic, as determined by WHO (World Health Organization) The disease had been affected people in more than 100 countries, including Indonesia.
Now, it is focused on handling and preventing the coronavirus. Until this article was written, there were 173,167 people infected worldwide, and 6,664 of them had died.
The originate of this virus is known from Wuhan in Hubei Province, China. Many people say, the coronavirus stems from people who eat bat meat. But who was the first person contracted the coronavirus?
South China Morning Post (SCMP) media tried to trace it by looking at documents owned Chinese Government. The search took them on an important date, November 17, 2019.
At the last days of 2019, Chinese authorities had identified at least 266 people were infected, these patients were under medical supervision at several points.
Interviews with whistle blowers from medical community showed that doctor in China just realized that they were facing a completely new disease at the end of December.
Scientists had mapped the pattern of early Covid 19 transmission in central China on January, two months before the outbreak became a global health crisis.
Finding out undetected and undocumented cases are so important to understand how the disease spreads and would be increased scientists’ understanding of the threat size of the coronavirus.
According to government data, a 55 years old from Hubei province could be the first person to contact Covid 19 on November 17, 2019.
From that date onwards, one to five new cases are reported every day. On December 15, total number of infected reached 27 people. The double digit increase in infected people was first reported on December 17 and on December 20. The total number of confirmed cases at that time has reached 60 people.
On December 27, Zhang Jixian, a doctor from Integrated Chinese and Western Medicine Hospital in Hubei Province, told that Chinese authorities that the disease was caused by a new coronavirus. On that date, more than 180 people had been infected, even though doctors may not have known all of them at the time.
On the last day of 2019, the number had increased to 266, and on the first day of 2020, the number had reached 381 cases.
Scientists are wanting to identify who is called the “Patient Zero”. Because that patient can help them to track down the true source of coronavirus. Until this time coronavirus is thought that jump from wild animals to humans, which is very likely from bats.
From the first cases that include nine people had reported in November. They were four men and five women, but no one was confirmed as patient zero. These nine people are aged between 39 and 79 years, but unknown how many of them are from Wuhan, which is believed as the center of the coronavirus spread.
It is possible that the cases arrived earlier but untracked in documents studied by SCMP.
According to WHO website, the first Covid 19 case confirmed in China occurred on December 8, 2019, but the world health organization did not track in detail, just relied the information from its member countries.
Another report published in medical journal The Lancet, written by Chinese doctors from Jinyintan Hospital in Wuhan, which treats some of the earliest patients, said the first known infection was December 1, 2019.
Dr Ai Fen, the first person who opens this information to the public, had told to People magazine in an interview that was later censored. The tests showed a patient at Wuhan Central Hospital was diagnosed on December 16 as an unknown person who infected the coronavirus.
India: Journalists shot, punched and kicked in Delhi communal violence
Journalists came under attack while covering the communal violence rocking northeast Delhi since Sunday, February 23.
ZONAUTARA.COM – Akash Napa, a journalist with JK 24×7 was shot and at least four other journalists were injured during communal unrest in Delhi on February 25 over the country’s controversial Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA).
The International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) and its affiliates the Indian Journalists Union (IJU) and the National Union of Journalists (India-NUJI) condemn the attacks and urge the India’s government to do more to ensure the safety of journalists in the country.
Journalists came under attack while covering the communal violence rocking northeast Delhi since Sunday, February 23. Several have been hospitalised after being punched and attacked by communal mobs, where police were reported as being absent or ineffective. Reports also suggested mob members were checking religious credentials of the journalists covering the protests. Television media were particularly targeted in the attacks.
Akash Napa, a reporter for JK 24×7 News TV channel, was shot while reporting in Maujpur and admitted to Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital in Dilshad Garden, North East Delhi.
According to JK 24×7 News TV, Napa’s condition is serious. Other journalists injured were Arvind Gunasekar, Saurabh Shukla, Mariyam Alavi and Sushil Rathi. Gunasekar lost several teeth after being punched in the face.
Gunasekar and Shukla were attacked while filming a mosque being set on fire. NDTV’s Mariyam Alavi and camera person Shushil Rathi were attacked while covering a violent protest. According to NDTV, members of the mob slapped NDTV journalist Akshay Kumar Dongare and tried to snatch his microphone and mobile while he was reporting the protest on February 24. According to IJU, the number of journalist attacked during the unrest is expected to be far greater than has been reported.
Apart from the direct attacks, the IJU said footage and photographs taken by journalists on their cell-phones were also deleted. Journalists posted stories to social media confirming that they were repeatedly asked by the protestors to disclose their religious identities.
During earlier protests to the CAA in December 2019, Indian police detained, abused and attacked scores of journalists covering protests in Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Karnataka and Kashmir who were covering the protests
Within the three days of the outbreak of the communal violence on February 23, at least 13 people have been killed, including the head constable of Delhi Police. Nearly 150 people have been injured in in northeast Delhi including Bhajanpura, Maujpur, Wazirabad, Jaffrabad, Babarpur, Vijay Park, Yamuna Vihar and Gokulpuri.
The Indian Journalists Union (IJU) said: “The attack to journalists is an attack to the freedom of the press. IJU appeals all the concerned to respect the neutrality of journalists and their rights. The IJU demands insurance and adequate compensation to the journalists injured and for the equipment damaged by the rioters. At the same time, the IJU appreciates the journalists for their courage and determination to report the facts under the most trying circumstances”
The NUJ(I) said: “We request the Government of India to probe into incidents and punish the guilty. These incidents re-establish the justification of promulgation of enactment of Journalists Protection Act as demanded by NUJ(I).”
The IFJ said: “IFJ is saddened from the attack to the journalists during their coverage of the communal-unrest and it urges the government of India to ensure safety of the journalists. In addition to this, the way journalists were asked to reveal their religious- identity by the protestors indicates that protest is becoming more communal. Therefore, it is high time for the media house and journalists to maintain sensitivity to the conflict and promote religious harmony”.